Monday, February 7, 2011

Pot Melt








This is my first attempted at doing a pot melt. A pot melt is made when glass is put into a pot that has holes in the bottom. The pot is placed in the kiln and elevated over the kiln shelf. When the temperature of the kiln gets very high, the glass melts and drips out of the holes and onto the shelf. I had the glass drip into a steel ring. This is important if you want to keep a circle shape or if you want your glass a certain thickness. As the colors dripped out, they swirled together to create a very unique design.

I used this blue and white pot melt to create a bowl. I added a black and white background and then slumped the glass in a bowl mold. The project came out better than expected. I do need to work on my kiln settings. I can see some very small stress cracks in the pot melt layer. Overall, I am happy with this bowl and I can't wait to try some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment